Our circular economy business model involves:
- extracting magnesium from existing waste streams;
- no mining of finite ore bodies;
- powering processes with solar energy;
- reduced CO2 emissions;
- potential for carbon sequestration.
Our process uses largely benign chemicals used widely in the mining industry.
The residual magnesium content is <0.1%, which is similar to the level found in sea water and substantially more environmentally benign than the current bittern waste stream.
EcoMag has commissioned a detailed life cycle analysis of its process from the German Aerospace Center. This analysis shows EcoMag’s process is potentially much less carbon intensive than:
- conventional roasting of magnesite ores,
- processing high purity MgO and Mg hydroxide from seawater Mg chloride (e.g. the Aman process used by Israeli Chemicals Ltd and Japanese producers), or
- extraction from Mg silicate ore using high temperature processing (e.g. the Magnifin process used by RHI, Austria).